Click here to view my published article on Joonbug.
Monday, September 29th marks a notorious date on every urbanite and suburbanite’s calendar: National Coffee Day!! With all of the sips of coffee taken throughout the world each day, this amazingly delicious fuel we run on deserves some love and appreciation. What better way to celebrate this holiday than with beloved Italian coffee brand, Lavazza? Click here to shop Lavazza today.
Lavazza has provided scrumptious recipes to savor all day long, so everyone can enjoy coffee on National Coffee Day. Below recipes (except Shakerato) credited to Lavazza Brand Ambassadors, Debi Mazar and Gabriele Corcos.
1. Morning Perk with the Lavazza Shakerato: A whole lot of shaking going on; your iced coffee is going places with this recipe!
**Lavazza Shakerato Ingredients:
- 2 shots of Lavazza espresso (note: if an espresso machine is unavailable, brew your espresso in a moka pot or something similar)
- ½ oz. simple syrup, or 2 packets of sugar
- An optional 2 pumps of flavored syrup
- 4-5 ice cubes
Directions: Fill a cocktail shaker with ice, and pour Lavazza espresso into it. Add the remaining ingredients and shake together well. Strain the finished product into a chilled glass, and enjoy!
2. A morning treat: Lavazza’s Coffee Cream Tart is a scrumptious and delightful treat for all sweet fans.
**Ingredients for the Chocolate Tart Dough:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
**Ingredients for the Coffee Cream:
- 1 1/4 cups brewed Lavazza Classico coffee
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- Pinch of salt
- Seeds from one vanilla bean
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 5 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- For garnish, dark chocolate
To make the tart:
Combine flour, salt and cocoa powder in mixing bowl and stir. Cream sugar and butter in a counter mixer, using the paddle attachment, until light and fluffy, approximately three minutes. Add the egg, and mix until completely incorporated. Add dry ingredients and mix until combined. Shape dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for one hour.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle two parchment sheets with flour and roll dough between parchments to form a 1/4” thick circle. Remove one side of the parchment and invert the dough carefully into a tart pan sprayed lightly with non-stick spray. Remove the top sheet of parchment and press the dough into all corners of the tart pan with your fingers. Trim any excess dough from the top of the tart pan using a paring knife. Repair any tears in the dough with scraps – it is very forgiving. Poke holes into the bottom portion of the dough with a fork, and refrigerate for twenty minutes. Use a piece of parchment to line the tart shell, and fill the shell with pie weights or dry beans. Bake for 15 minutes, remove the weights and parchment and bake for an extra 15 minutes, until the tart shell has hardly any give when pressed. Let the shell cool completely. Remove the shell from tart pan and wrap it carefully in plastic wrap until use. The tart shell can be prepared in advance up to three days.
To prepare the coffee cream:
Combine the vanilla, salt, coffee, milk and half of the sugar in a shallow saucepan, bringing it to a simmer. Separately, combine the remaining sugar, flour and cornstarch in a small bowl. Combine it with the egg yolks and whisk until fully incorporated. Be sure the eggs start to lighten in color. When the milk mixture starts to simmer, temper the eggs by slowly ladling the hot milk mixture into the eggs, making sure to whisk the entire time. Repeat with two ladles more of hot milk. Add the tempered eggs into the milk saucepan and bring to a boil. While whisking, constantly boil the mixture for two minutes. Transfer the coffee cream to a bowl and cover top with plastic wrap so that it will not develop a skin. Refrigerate until cool, a minimum of two hours. The coffee cream can be prepared in advance up to one week.
To prepare the tart, vigorously stir the coffee cream to remove any lumps. In a large bowl, whip heavy cream to medium peaks. Add the coffee cream and whisk to combine. Transfer the coffee cream into the prepared tart shell. Generously top with the shaved chocolate. Refrigerate until serving, up to two hours.
3. Evening Café nightcap: Yumm…Lavazza’s Ice Coffee Shake or Mocha Martini. Need we say more?
**Lavazza Iced Coffee Shake Ingredients:
(Yields two servings; Preparation time is 10 minutes)
- 2.5 cups ice cubes
- ¼ cup heavy cream (or half and half as an alternative)
- 1 shot of rum
- 6 shots of Lavazza Perfetto specialty drip coffee
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Optional whipped cream for topping
Combine all ingredients in a blender. Mix until smooth. Serve the coffee shake in tall, cold glasses with whimsical straws. Whipped cream and powdered chocolate are simply heavenly to use for garnish. It is recommended to serve immediately, as the cream and ice tend to separate slightly if the contents sit in the glass too long. If planning to serve this treat to kids, it is suggested to prepare with decaffeinated coffee, and substitute a tablespoon of chocolate syrup for the shot of rum.
**Mocha Martini Ingredients:
(Yields two servings)
- 4 ounces quality dark chocolate, chopped finely
- ½ cup freshly-brewed Lavazza Gran Aroma
- 2 ounces Brandy (or Grappa or Rum)
- 2 ounces heavy whipping cream
- To prepare the chocolate ganache, place the chocolate in a small, heatproof bowl. Then, add the coffee and let it steep for two minutes. Whisk until smooth. For 20-30 minutes, let the ganache cool. *For another option, the ganache can also be made in advance, then gently warmed when ready to use.
- Use a cocktail shaker to pour half the ganache (about ½ cup) into the bottom. Add the brandy into the mix, and swirl to blend. Next, add the heavy cream. Once again, swirl to combine the ingredients.
- Add 1 cup of ice. Forcefully shake together until the drink is cold. For the final step, strain this scrumptious beverage into a martini or cocktail glass. Sip and savor!
4. Coffee for Kids (…and adults who have a sweet tooth weakness!):Easy to prepare Lavazza Coffee Marshmallows. Make S’mores, add these luscious marshmallows to your hot chocolate…or sinfully eat them whole!
**Coffee Marshmallows Ingredients:
- 1 cup freshly brewed Lavazza Perfetto, room temperature, divided
- 3 packets gelatin
- 3/4 cup corn syrup
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
Combine ½ cup of the gelatin with the brewed coffee in the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk to combine. Attach the bowl to the base of the mixer and use the whisk attachment. Let the gelatin set.
In a medium saucepan, combine the remaining ½ cup of brewed coffee with the corn syrup and sugar; stir to incorporate all ingredients. Without stirring, bring the sugar mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, utilizing a candy thermometer in pot and cooking until the sugar mixture reaches 238 degrees.
In the meantime, spray a 9”x13” baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Combine the cocoa powder and confectioners sugar in a bowl; mix well. Sprinkle the greased pan with the confectioners/cocoa mix and tilt the pan in every direction to ensure coating the entire surface of the pan.
When the sugar syrup has reached correct temperature, drizzle carefully into the bowl of the stand mixer as it whips on medium-high. When all the syrup is added, turn the speed to high. Add the seeds of a vanilla bean and a pinch of salt. Continue to whip on high until the mixture begins to cool and lighten in color.
Use non-stick spray on a spatula and add the marshmallow mixture into the prepared baking pan. Working briskly, spread the marshmallow as evenly as possible. Sprinkle with some confectioners/cocoa blend and gently, using your hands, help flatten the marshmallow by patting it. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to set eight hours (at a minimum), preferably overnight.
Onto a cutting surface, carefully remove the set marshmallow from the pan. Using a sharp chef’s knife, cut the marshmallow into one inch wide strips. Cut the strip into one-inch pieces, achieving a one-inch square. Toss each marshmallow square in the remaining confectioners/cocoa mix and shake off excess. Store in an airtight container in a dry, cool area. These lavish treats will surely delight your entire day!
***And if you thought this wasn’t enough deliciousness in your life to celebrate National Coffee Day…Lavazza has every coffee lover prepared to take a cup on the run. Bringing “Italy’s favorite coffee” to K-Cup just in time for fall 2014, you can savor this delectable top-notch brew with breakfast, and on-the-go! These newly released Lavazza K-Cup® packs will be available for purchase in 10 count (SRP: $8.79 / pack – includingPerfetto and Classico only), 16 count (priced at $11.99 / pack, available in all varieties) and 22 count ($16.79 / pack, also available in all varieties).
National U.S. retail stores including Bed Bath & Beyond, Staples and Target spotlight these formats. You can also purchase Lavazza K-Cup® packs online at ShopLavazza.com, Keurig.com and BedBathAndBeyond.com. On a more regional basis, local grocers that carry Lavazza K-Cup® packs include Jewel, Kroger, Meijer, Safeway and SuperValu. Take your palate on an enticingly flavorful adventure with Lavazza K-Cup® packs’ variety of tasting profiles, including Gran Aroma (silky medium roast with hues of citrus), Classico (rich, flavorful medium roast with dried fruit hues), Gran Selezione (intense, chocolaty dark roast) and Perfetto (velvety, dark espresso roast…with a savory caramel finish).
It is clear how you should start off every morning: the Lavazza way!